Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween or not to Halloween

Yesterday was the big day for so many children. Living here in Germany my kids aren't as exposed as if we lived in the states. Sometimes I think that is great so that when I fail to carve a pumpkin it isn't such a big deal. Normally J watches while I get the pumpkins, carve them open, encourage the kids to dig in, and decorate for Halloween. This year we have had so many things going on with Roll in school and Boy Scouts that we just didn't find the time. We had every intention of buying costumes but I didn't even get around to that! We didn't even buy a pumpkin which has never happened before.

At school I don't think it is a great idea to have Halloween parties for several reasons which most do not need explaining. Mainly though...if we can't celebrate Christmas, why would I celebrate Halloween? This hasn't been an issue at other schools since normally districts frown upon you celebrating holidays. This school though goes all out and declares that the last hour of the day will be dedicated to Halloween parties. Well I normally study the harvest and such so when others are having a "Halloween" party, we have a "Fall Festival." This usually goes over pretty well and this year several parents really pitched in! Since we were learning about pumpkins, we had pumpkin soup, pumpkin chili, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, and other "harvest" foods. It was great. I did have a parent upset that we did not have a "Halloween" party. I thought it ironic! All in all though parents enjoyed themselves as well as the children.

So back to my own two little ones. Roll had a Halloween party at his daycare (this is a bit of a novelty for German children and Roll's school is out for the week since November 1st is a German holiday- All Saints Day). I didn't find out about the party until Monday night when Roll told me so we made cupcakes and found a Batman costume for him to wear. Rock really didn't seem to care about anything that Roll was doing. So as I am driving home thinking about a hot bath, movie, and early bedtime... Roll calls me with J's cell phone and asks if we are going Trick-or-treating! I had figured he would be too tired to go trick-or-treating. I brought home a special movie for us to watch together. We didn't end up going and Roll wasn't terribly upset about it but it took some convincing and then distraction. Rock woke in the night sick to his stomach so I was glad we didn't go. J and the boys didn't have school/work today and Rock was feeling better after some much needed sleep. I however had to go to work with 18 sugar hiped kids! I am bone tired!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't do the ten plus carved pumpkins like usual :) We always used your pumpkin collection for our Halloween photo opportunities.